Simple step-by-step guide on how to create a website easily, quickly, and with quality. Suitable even for a beginner without technical knowledge.
No company can do without its website today. It is as essential as an address or telephone contact. In the following article, you will learn why. And you’ll also learn how to create a website.
Why a website is needed
For anyone serious about their business, building a business is their website. This confirms customer behavior. More than half of them view the seller’s website before purchasing products or services. It’s not just e-shops. People go online for other information. A high-quality presentation using a website is, therefore, an essential basis for success on the market.
The website is necessary mainly for the following reasons:
- First, it is available at any time. Second, even when you and your employees are asleep, this way, your customers can contact you at night using the contact form.
- It informs about your products and saves time. For many customers, this information is enough to purchase the product. But, at the same time, the website saves time.
- It’s essential for credibility. People want to check their credibility before contacting a business. If they don’t find anything about you on the Internet, your credibility is declining.
- The website presents your business. It gives your business. Some internet visitors wouldn’t otherwise know anything about what you’re doing without it. In addition, it is possible to increase its traffic in an appropriate form of visibility of the site, leading to higher profits.
- Find out who your customers are. Analyzing Page traffic helps you understand who your audience is. Her behavior can also be examined. This will help you make better use of various internet advertising tools.
- You get ahead of the competition. The website gives you a significant competitive advantage over businesses that don’t. Potential customers will always have you in their sights.
- Helps build a brand. The visibility of the company profits in building the brand. In addition to information, you will be able to offer online support, the ability to read reviews of your work, and so on.
Free website? I’d rather not.
Using free services always sounds tempting. There are several services available to create a website where you can get free hosting and domain. However, if you are serious about your business, you should avoid them instead. Building a website for free is a good solution for personal pages only. However, even in this case, I recommend considering whether it is better to pay for hosting and domain.
Disadvantages of free hosting:
- You cannot create a domain name without containing the hosting provider name. Your domain will thus.
- be shaped: vasnazev.poskytovatel.cz
- Fewer page editing options. More options are available only in paid service packages.
- Most of these providers only offer unprofessional-looking and looking designs. Unfortunately, this will make your site look like many others.
- A big drawback is the placement of advertising on other pages. So, in addition to not looking professional, you will draw attention to the services of the competition.
- You may also encounter the need to link to hosting provider services in the footer of the Page.
- Less reliability and a higher risk of server outages.
Select a domain
A domain is a web page address. It’s an important identifier. It appears at the command prompt of the browser. Apart is what sets you apart from other sites. It is a good idea to include the name of your business or the business area you are engaged in. That makes it easier for people to remember.
The domain should have other properties:
- Really in a nutshell. It should be short. From a domain, people should briefly know what you’re doing. They won’t remember the long title.
- It must be unique. If it resembles another page’s domain, people will easily mix you up with it.
- It should be simple. The choice of simple, easy-to-remember (keyword) words is also essential.
- You should not use hyphens or numbers. Hyphens and numbers are hard to dictate. People also find it harder to remember exactly where they should be placed.
I suggest you invent several domains. Then you select the most suitable one and verify that someone does not have it registered. If not, you can report it. Learn more about choosing a domain in my Article [63 tips]. How to choose the best domain name for your site.
Why do you need hosting
Hosting is the space on the server where all your website data is stored. These servers are constantly connected to the Internet. Therefore, your site is accessible at any time.
Many providers provide hosting. Individual services vary in package and scope of service, price and quality, and availability. There are also differences in page loading speed and customer support quality. Before purchasing hosting, make sure it supports the editorial system you want to use.
For more on hosting selection, see How to choose the best WordPress hosting.
Choosing the right platform
When creating a web page, you have several options to choose from. You can have it created by a professional
or use one of the available online tools:
MyWeb – a straightforward online tool for creating blogs and websites. I recommend it especially to non-technical people thinking about starting a website for its simplicity and other advantages. If necessary, you will find a complete guide in this review of MyWeb.
Webnode – another popular website builder. If you are interested, see the specific instructions on creating a Web page in this Webnode review.
WordPress.com – is a similar tool for creating websites and blogging as the previous two. For more information about it, see WordPress.org vs. WordPress.com.
WordPress.org – is open source. This means that you can use it for your website for free. It brings many benefits, which I will also use in this tutorial on creating a web page. First, however, to create a website, you need your domain and web hosting.
I recommend choosing MioWeb, Webnode, or WordPress (which I do in this tutorial).
What do you need to create a web page?
To get started, you need to choose 2 things:
- The domain name (this will be the name for your website page, for example, it is jurosko. CZ).
- Web hosting (this will be the service where your website will be located).
The great news is that you only need less than 30 minutes of your time to set up your website.
Domain settings and web hosting
There are many quality hosting companies in Slovakia and abroad where you can buy web hosting and domain. However, I don’t recommend free hosting as they have many drawbacks and limitations, overpaid ones that you would most likely pay for later.
The cost of hosting is much lower nowadays compared to the past. You can have quality web hosting for as little as 5-10 euros per month. The price of the .cz domain will cost you about 10 euros per year. I recommend you buy both domain and web hosting from the same provider, saving you the time and worry you would have with switching domains with web hosting.
I consider the best hosting in Slovakia to be the one from Web support, which I have chosen for my websites. Therefore, I will also use Web support hosting for this tutorial. You can find why I decided to do just this hosting in case of interest in the Article on the speed of WordPress.
So let us do it, open the Web support Page in a new window, enter the domain you want in the domain verification window, and click on the “Verify” button:
If the domain is free, click the “Add” button (pictured below). Otherwise, try to find another suitable environment that will be free.
Click continue. Here you can choose “Looking for a ready-made WordPress solution”:
Scroll to the bottom of the Page where “WordPress The Hosting” – a solution specially optimized for WordPress pages – is. It would help if you chose the “Basic” option (15GB / 1 domain) to start. Later, you can switch to higher hosting at any time if needed.
To confirm the option, click “Add” and then click “Continue to Cart” to continue. This moves you to the contents of your cart:
In your cart, choose your purchased domain as the primary domain for WordPress hosting and click on the “Save” button:
To get two months free of charge in addition to any hosting ordered for one year, you can use the coupon code LBOJ8E2JZW, which can be inserted after clicking “I want to use the coupon” and confirming with the “Redeem” button:
To confirm your purchase, use the “Order” button. There you enter the required data and put “Send order.”
Automatically install WordPress
Are you expecting an installation in this step? You should find the email in your inbox that you entered when you registered. So I will please you, in Web support WordPress hosting, you (WordPress) automatically installed after ordering.
This email clearly explains that it may take longer for the website to be linked to your purchased domain. Until then, you have your website available at a temporary address.
And, when I opened this address in my browser, I found my WordPress website already installed on it:
Don’t worry; you can change the basic look of your website.
Sign in to the administration
Congratulations, in the previous step, you successfully managed to install your website. You can access the administration of your website via the following link mentioned in the email above.
In my case, it is http://d.websupport.sk/wordpressblog.sk/wp-admin/, or if the domain has already been linked, the link http://wordpressblog.sk/wp-admin /. Here I can find the possibility of logging into the administration of the Page:
After entering the login details (also received in the email), you will be taken to the administration:
Now we are ready to customize the appearance of your website.
Choose the right template.
As I mentioned above, the visual appearance of your Page is controlled by themes (templates). The basic theme chosen from WebSupport will not be the most suitable for some people.
There are thousands of free ready-made templates that can be installed. If you don’t like either one of them, there are just as many paid topics.
You can change your topic by clicking on “Appearance” -> “Topics.” Here are issues that are already preinstalled in WordPress:
You can add a new theme by clicking on “Add a new one”:
On the next screen, you’ll be able to search from over 4,400 free topics available as part of the official WordPress.org website. You can sort them by popularity, popularity, date of addition, or filter them (by layout, features, and so on):
When you have found a theme you liked, hover over it, and you will be shown the “Install” button. Click on it and wait for the topic to install. Then the “Install” button is replaced by the “Activate” button. You need to click on it to activate this topic.
Tip: check out this list of the best WordPress templates.
After installing the topic, you can further adjust its appearance by clicking on “Appearance” -> “Customize.” So we have successfully chosen our topic, and now we are finally ready to create our first blog post.
Create your first Article
To write the first post on your Page, click on “Articles” -> “Add New.” This is how you get to the editor of a news article where you can create one:
After you insert the article’s title and its contents, go ahead and click the “Publish” button. This will publish the Article on your website. Congratulations, you have successfully published the first Article.
Similarly, you can create individual pages such as the home page, Page about us, contact, etc.
Additional customizing – plugins, categories, and tags
In the articles section, you may notice other items such as categories and tags. You can use these to organize your posts:
On your Web page, you may want to add elements other than text to articles. For example, let’s say you want to use a contact form, tables, image galleries, buttons, and so on.
Plugins are used for this purpose in WordPress. You can think of them as applications (modules) that allow you to add new features to a web page. You can search for and install these plugins in the “Plugins” section -> “Add new”:
It’s a similar way we’ve shown ourselves when choosing a topic. Plugins can also be switched on/off at will in the “Installed plugins” section.
How to create a website – conclusion
I believe this tutorial on creating your website was helpful to you. Your Page is already created, and you can post on it. I’d like you to continue sharing this tutorial. In the comments below, you can also show me how well you did with your site creation.