Creating a website today is no big deal because you no longer need to know HTML, CSS, or some programming language.
SEO expert Miroslav Beňo wrote this article. At the same time, I want to thank him for sharing his experience with us in this host post.
You can quickly create a high-quality website or blog via WordPress. Just find a suitable WordPress template that you can get for free or take advantage of a heavier caliber in the form of Divi or Avadatemplates, with which you can click more or less than you want.
Only in case of more complicated things would you need a quality programmer.
In other words, today, you can be online with your website literally in a few minutes. However, this does not mean that the site will serve its purpose.
If you want to create a website to have one, you don’t need to read this article.
But if you’re about your severe own website or blog, have big plans for it, and potentially want to sell something on it or monetize it through affiliate marketing, running a website nowadays requires careful thought of a few things that should fit together.
In addition, some essential things should be dealt with as soon as possible; others can be postponed until after the launch itself. But, unfortunately, most people initially deal with what doesn’t matter at first, and it’s only when it’s too late that they get to the point.
So, to increase your chances of creating a successful website and your efforts not going to waste, I have the most important thing for you to pay attention to.
The most important thing
Before you even launch a website, it’s essential to do something completely different from what it looks like, what system your website will run on, where you choose to host, or who you’re registering your domain with.
The most important thing is to find out if the area you want to operate in has the potential to get high and targeted traffic (at least 10,000+ per month). Slovakia is a small market and therefore does not have the same opportunities as America, China, Britain, or Germany.
Last time I saw an American commercial that sells basketball courses and teaches people how to play it. I doubt that it is possible to earn even a basic living on something like this in Slovakia.
By contrast, eternal areas such as:
… they are also suitable in Slovakia because you have the opportunity to reach tens, if not hundreds of thousands, of people with them.
There are two simple ways you can verify the potential size of the audience you want to reach:
- The first is to find out how keywords are searched in Google using keyword planner.
- The second is to find out the size of the audience that you can reach through Facebook advertising through targeting different interests.
If your total Google searches in a given region are more than 10,000 a month, or you can reach about 100,000 people on Facebook, you have a higher chance of success, as if you were going to a new area that no one is currently interested in.
The name of your PagePagePage and domain will accompany and present to you. Although you can change it at any time, I recommend thinking long-term from the beginning to avoid any complications later.
The most ideal is to come up with a name that is “brandable.” While you don’t have to plan an extensive campaign or build a strong brand from it initially, the brandable name allows you to differentiate yourself from others and create awareness of your PagePagePage better than common keywords in your domain.
The process through which you get to a good name is quite simple and has only one drawback – it’s lengthy because good ideas don’t come while you wait:
- Write down all the words that connect with your area, the emotions you would like to evoke in people, words expressing your vision, etc.
- combine and adapt words or parts thereof
For example, I recently started two blogs about exercises and the fitness revolution—CZ (fit advisor. skis still in the creation phase).
Choosing a web solution
There are three ways to create a site:
- you can program it to measure
- you will use a “boxed” solution
- you will use some CMS – content management system
Having a tailor-made site is very convenient because you can design almost anything, and the programmer will encode it for you. However, such a solution is costly financially since you will pay for the programmer and the graphics that the website must design for you.
Today, many tools (so-called box solutions)are available to create a website without programming skills, that it is up to ordinary users to choose something: Webnode, Wix, Blogger…
But their problem is that they will essentially limit you in what you can do.
Therefore, it is best to choose CMS WordPress in 99% of cases. There are so many advantages to using WordPress that other platforms don’t get caught up in at all and are far from allowing you to do as many things as you would potentially need to do for further progress in the later stages.
In addition, an experienced programmer can program virtually any functionality or plugin. With boxed solutions, you usually don’t have that luxury, and you’re limited only by what they give you. When it comes to plugins, very many are available for free so that you can add many functionalities at any time and on your own.
Choosing web hosting
There is such advice – how much he is willing to put into something, so much and even more, will come back to you.
Of course, in the real world, something works; some don’t. That’s just the way it is, and it’s something to count on. However, you may also realize that if you put nothing into something and try to find only the fastest and cheapest routes, it will suffer from the quality, and the result will be more than wrong.
I remember this especially because many people in Slovakia tend to save on everything, even web hosting. I’m not saying you need your virtual server right away, but be sure not to run your website on cheap free hosting services for a few tens of cents or crowns. Not even for free hosting. The quality is not knowing what, not to mention the technical parameters, to tighten friendly modern sites.
You can have excellent hosting for the initial launch phase of the site from around two euros a month, which isn’t much.
Whoever you choose to host should meet at least basic technical parameters such as:
- fast server response for quick page loading
- datacenter located in Slovakia because the PagePagePage could load more slowly from a foreign server
- possibility to install an SSL certificate
- PHP version 7.1+
- latest versions of databases
- memory limit ideally 512 MB
- http2 support
- CMS support
Select a template
You can think of the template as a preset look on your PagePagePage. All you need to do is turn on the content, and the template will take care of a nice look and feel.
Once, the selection was straightforward – you chose what you liked the most. Although this is still a necessary criterion, there are a few others to consider nowadays:
- Design vs. UX – in addition to a nice look, you need to pay attention to at least the basic principles of UX (user experience) as straightforward navigation, simple website orientation, simple registration process, etc.
- Template functionality – each template is programmed somehow and therefore has predefined options. For example, choose based on whether the template can handle what you need.
- Template compatibility – Not every template must be compatible with new updates to the CMS or third-party plugins.
- Code quality – An inappropriately programmed template not only can slow down page loading but can also pose a security risk.
- Responsiveness – the template should also be suitable for mobile devices since up to half of them go to the web in many cases.
Traffic to the PagePagePage
Running a page doesn’t automatically reflect increased traffic on the PagePagePage. The harsh truth is that almost no one will come to your site unless you do so in some way at the beginning. For this reason, you should know the most effective traffic sources, choose some at the beginning and use it with full force.
In Slovakia, it is most worth focusing on the following sources of visits:
- SEO (search engine site optimization) is about increasing the search results to keywords people are looking for. Therefore, the higher you are, the more traffic you get.
- Social networks – Facebook or Instagram are excellent ways to build a fan base, make yourself known, and send people to your site.
- Email marketing – the larger and more targeted your email contact database, the more people you can reach out to and let them know about new products, services, and content on your PagePagePage.
- Paid advertising – Use Google or Facebook, and Instagram to “turn on” your ad at any time and promote your content and products or services. The advantage is that you can get instant traffic, but once you turn off your ad, you’ll be empty without sufficient awareness of your PagePagePage.
None of these sources of visits are better or worse in themselves. It’s ideal if you can have them all at once if time or financial possibilities allow.
By having a wealth of experience optimizing the site for a search engine, I am an SEO consultant, and I know how to write articles, so I chose SEO to start with my new website. However, social networks, currently mainly Instagram, are like shells for a given segment.
To see if your site is progressing, you need to set up at least these two essential analytics tools from scratch:
- Google Analytics – a tool that allows you to track traffic on your website, how it behaves, from which sources it also came to measure goals such as the number of contact forms filled in or downloaded ebooks.
- Google Search Console – a helpful tool to find out what keywords people came from on your website.
Quality and valuable content
Since there are hundreds of millions of sites worldwide, and in Slovakia, we can also count them at about 150,000 (an estimate based on the total number of registered .cz domains), it cannot be assumed that people will show interest in it unless your content is at least a class better and more sophisticated.
Although quality and value are subjective concepts, there are several objective prerequisites for how to work towards such content:
You must enjoy it – if you’re writing something on strength, it’ll smell of the text, even a professional copywriter who wouldn’t want your assignment won’t write a text that exudes enthusiasm. You can’t do that.
It would help if you had extensive knowledge of your topic and insight – only under this assumption can you write something that will not compile other articles and will not look like every other published article.
Ideally, it would help if you also had practical experience in the field – a great example is exercise and health. In lifestyle magazines, you will find articles on one hoof from copywriters, who either do not often exercise or not at all. I honestly feel sorry for the people who read this because they’re very disappointed and will not get anywhere. To make matters worse, I prefer not even to remember that they have almost no know will not body works.,
Publish something that people can’t find – fortunately, everything on the Internet is probably not on the Slovak Internet. I don’t mean to offend anyone, but most of the content on the site is wholly identical. One piece of information is taken over one by one, and many copywriters write content by putting together some of the articles after other copywriters.
I don’t even mind because when I realized this, I discovered a massive hole on the Slovak Internet – very few people take the trouble to examine something in detail, subsoil the facts, point to examples, etc.
Thanks to this, I managed to increase wy.SK from Google by 1063% over 18 months on the wy.SK page (mainly via blog).
Technical PagePagePage of the website
- SSL certificate (e.g., Lets Encrypt certificate is available free of charge from most web hosting providers)
- redirect 301 to a secure HTTP protocol
The whole basis when you start a site should be:
- suitably coded website/template for fast loading
- optimizing and compressing images
- lazy loading
What do you need to deal with after you start the site?
If you already have a designed logo, this is just a plus. If you don’t already, you don’t have to worry about it at the beginning. Honestly, no one will be interested in your logo on their first visit. Just write your domain or project name in a nice font and temporarily set it up as a logo on the PagePagePage.
Contact page / page about us
These two pages are an obligation and should not be missing on any site. However, if you only start, you can do without them for a week or two, especially if you’re starting a blog. It is much more important to write the first quality content.
This doesn’t just apply if you’ve had your ad turned on from the start and sold something. Somehow the customers have to contact you. Moreover, the site would not look plausible.
Collection of emails
As I mentioned above, the email database is one of the best channels to promote your website, and you should start with it as soon as possible. However, a week or two after you start the site, it doesn’t take much unless you have paid advertising turned on. Still, almost no one will visit your website.
Again, as with the contact page/pages about us, it is better to produce a few quality articles initially and then focus on other essential things like collecting emails.